You've probably heard the general term "arthritis," but did you know there are many forms of the condition? The most common type is osteoarthritis, which affects millions of people around the world.
What is Osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis is a degenerative condition. That means it gets worse as you get older. Over time, the spongy cartilage that protects your joints wears down. When that happens, the bones in a joint rub together with nothing to cushion them as you move your body. The result is pain and inflammation. Additionally, any damage that occurs to the bones and joints usually can't be reversed.
Where Does Osteoarthritis Occur in the Body?
Osteoarthritis can occur in any joint in your body, but it's most commonly found in four areas:
What Are the Symptoms of Osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis develops over time, so the severity of symptoms may get worse. Symptoms can include:
- Joint pain during and after movement.
- Joint stiffness when you wake up or after a period of inactivity
- Bone spurs in the affected joints
- Decrease flexibility, meaning the joint doesn't have its full range of motion
- Tenderness when pressure is applied to a joint
- Swelling around a joint due to tissue inflammation
Can Osteoarthritis Be Treated?
While osteoarthritis cannot be cured, its symptoms can be managed. Getting enough physical activity and maintaining a healthy weight can slow the progression of osteoarthritis. Additionally, some non-surgical treatments can be effective at managing pain and discomfort.
- Physical or occupational therapies
- Steroid or lubrication injections
Osteoarthritis and Chiropractic
At our clinic, we see many patients who want to relieve osteoarthritis symptoms without taking medication. Fortunately, chiropractic treatment is effective at managing this condition. Our skilled providers at Hughlett Chiropractic will evaluate your condition and recommend treatment, which may include:
- Stretching techniques
- Ultrasound technology
- Gentle joint manipulations and adjustments
- Strengthening exercises
- Suggestions for lifestyle modifications
- Help managing diet
If you're experiencing pain from osteoarthritis, reach out to us today at Hughlett Chiropractic by calling (817) 451-7575 for an appointment. We look forward to helping you live life to the fullest, free of pain and discomfort.